Tuesday, August 22, 2006

...And I'm spent.


"I'm taking an awful risk here, Vader. This had better work."

Grand Moff Tarkin, Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope

As we all know, Grand Moff Tarkin's risk didn't really pay off. The homing beacon Vader's operatives placed on the Millenium Falcon led the Death Star straight to the rebel stronghold on Yavin IV. The potential reward was to crush the rebellion once and for all with a decisive strike. However, the rebels, particularly Luke Skywalker, dealt a mortal blow to the Death Star through a small thermal exhaust port, right above the main port. That blow was the tipping point that ultimately swayed the momentum of battle into the hands of the Rebel Alliance.

I'm reaching a similar tipping point in my work. While I'd hate to characterize ourselves as the Imperial Army, we're getting to the point where we have to start thinking outside the box to resolve our problems. Today, I came up with my last hurrah, the only thing I haven't tried. It's not a sure thing, and I'm not arrogant enough to say that it's guaranteed that it will be accepted, though I can safely say that I did all my homework and presented a strong case.

If this doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. I can honestly say that I'll have tried everything. So, what to do then? I couldn't leave in good conscience, because I know that if I did, nothing would have even the slightest possibility of working. But how much do I owe my employers? Will I sit there like Tarkin, proclaiming certain victory while everything explodes around me? Or will I enter the dogfight like Vader, claiming little victories and being a witness to the catastrophe, while living to fight another day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home