Sunday, July 15, 2007

One step closer...

...to fulfilling my handle. I have been offered an assignment at a regional manager level starting in September, which is one level up from where I'm at now, and one level below executive director. It's a huge vote of confidence, as I've been asked before people with far more experience. Then again, those people didn't get superior performance appraisals two years running.

In addition, I've been identified as having executive potential, and I get to compete for admission into an exclusive executive training program in the fall. If I get into the program, it's usually a fast-track for VP level jobs and above. All I have to do now is not blow it.

My wife has earned a promotion as well, so it will be good to get some extra $$$ rolling in. Being of the school of thought that it's easier to rip a band-aid off all in one go, I've decided to do the following work in addition to our foundation repair (which, it turns out, insurance *may* be able to cover).

- Re-grade front lawn
- Repair minor crack in brickwork
- Install underground sprinkler system
- Redo interlocking brick at front entrance
- Fix minor crack/leak in front window
- Re-sod front lawn

I've already ripped up most of the sod and the existing interlock (thank God I've been working out) and my hands are about to go on strike. On the plus side, I'm down to a svelte 177 lbs, only 7 more pounds to go to reach my goal. This week, I have to go through the insurance papers with my lawyer to see if my home warranty will cover the foundation repair, and maybe the window and brickwork. I'll also have a parade of contractors in to finish all the work. I figure I probably saved myself about $500-700 with the work I did myself this week, and I had fun doing it, so it's all good.

I've had to stop the mortgage double payments for the last few weeks, because of these repairs and since my wife has had pay problems since she got off of maternity leave - she hasn't received a cheque in two months. Fortunately, we were prepared for potential problems, so as long as she starts getting paid before the end of August, we should be fine. We're back to living like college students (even moreso), but I don't mind because I know that when she gets paid, we'll be sitting on a pile of cash. Things are definitely looking better than they were a few weeks ago.

1 Comments:

At October 26, 2007, Blogger Normalcy Overrated said...

Congrats on the weight loss! Its been a long time since I commented, but I am glad to hear that everything is going great with you, Fiona, and Brandon.
Take Care!
Kristine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home