Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hello and Welcome!

Well, it's Sunday night, and I figured I'd give a bit of context to my latest creation, my online diary.

I've been on holidays for most of the last month, celebrating the birth of my first child, Brandon William. Isn't he a cutie?

















Anyway, he is indirectly the reason why I'm starting up this blog. You see, with all the added responsibility of being a parent, in a new city, with a new job, it seems that I don't have all the same outlets to relieve my stress that I used to. So, consider this diary my stress release from all the crap I have to put up with, mostly having to do with my work.

So, why all the stress? To get you caught up, here's the story so far:

Kobe Bryant once referred to himself as a "talented overachiever". I think that best describes me, as well. I grew up as a middle-class kid in a middle-class household, but I always thought my parents could have done better for themselves if they worked at it. Then, my mom got diagnosed with MS and passed away after a long battle. Because my university tuition (rightfully) went to her medical treatment at the time, I learned an old-school work ethic and put myself through 4 years of university working up to 3 jobs at once with nary a cent of debt.

Having graduated from university, I set out to find a job in my profession. It wasn't easy, and I had to work a year's worth of dead end jobs before I found my way in to the federal government. After a while, I finally started working in my profession. But soon thereafter, it wasn't enough. I had worked my whole life to get to where no one told me I could go. But I had gotten there at the age of 26...so now what to do?

So, I now manage a team of professionals. It's interesting managing people twice your age, and it creates a particular set of problems, but I manage.

So that's basically it. I'll provide more of my story as the days and months go by, and on slow days, I'll intersperse some anecdotes from my youth, specifically those which led to me becoming the person I am now. I guess the point of this, as well as relieving my stress, is to hopefully run into some people who might have stumbled into the same demographic crevasse in their workplaces. And of course, there will certainly be many stories about little Brandon too!

1 Comments:

At July 26, 2006, Blogger Normalcy Overrated said...

1. Brandon is cute.
2. Brandon is cute.
3. Brandon is cute.

Oh, and make sure your work doesn't have an anti-blogging about work policy. You don't want to get dooced!

So glad to read you Chris!!
Blogging buds we will be :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home